Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Recycled Coffee Table and Ottoman




Here's a great way to spruce up that old coffee table. I have a pretty nice coffee table but, it has a 2 glass pieces on the top, which in my family was bound to get broke. Being that we spend a lot of time in the living room watching great movies, we wanted an ottoman to kick back and relax with but, didn't want to loose the functionality of the coffee table. So, I made it both! It was actually very simple. Our table has a 2 1/2" ledge around the top of it so, the glass actually sits inside. I measure the inside of the ledge where I wanted the cushion to be. I went to Home Depot and got the thinnest piece of particle board, or MDF wood, and asked them to cut it to my measurements. Then I went to Joann Fabrics and got some 4" foam and had it cut to the same size. You may choose whatever thickness of foam you want. Next I picked out some durable material. You want to use something fairly thick, such as drapery, since you will have people putting there feet on it and would like it to stand up to several washes. You may also have some old drapes or material that you would like to recycle for your ottoman. You want to make sure that the fabric is several inches wider and longer than your wood and foam because you will sew the edges and then adhere it to the bottom of the wood. You want to be sure that it will completely cover the foam and wood. Once you have all your pieces you can get started. Since my coffee table had glass pieces I removed them and put them is a safe place before I got started. First you want to make sure that the wood and foam fit the space that you want to cover. Then finish off any frayed material with a half inch hem. I chose to use a staple gun to cover the foam on my ottoman but, you can be as creative as you want. You may want to use Velcro or sew in an elastic band for easy removal when it needs to be washed. Using the staple gun allowed me to pull the material tight around the foam and wood. Once I was done with the stapling, I put the covered board and foam on top of my coffee table and I know have and ottoman. I found some wood trays to place on top of the ottoman so that I can still put drinks down. This is such a simple way to make an old piece new and more functional. So sit back, relax and put your feet up on your new ottoman/coffee table.
If you have any questions about any of the information I shared with you today, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Happy Crafting!

2 comments:

  1. Not only was your blog informative, it was also very easy to follow. If my wife ever let me do anything to our apartment, I would use your tips to do it!

    Bobby B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert! Maybe you should have your wife read the posts you like and then you could maybe do some fixing up together. Happy crafting, thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete