Friday, May 8, 2009

Homemade Mother's Day Cards

If you haven't gotten your mom a card for Mother's day as of yet, don't panic! I have just the idea for you. Not only will this save you money but, it will give your mom that perfect personalized gift she has been waiting for since you we're 5! It's not cheesy and childish. There is no Elmer's glue, hot glue, or glue sticks involved. All you need is some card stock and your computer! This is what I did for all the moms in my life this year. I created a personalized postcard style Mother's Day card with old pictures and funny captions, some were elegant black and whites which I captioned with fancy fonts, and I printed them all onto some recycled card stock I had left over from another project. I love reusing old materials. It saves a lot of money and time, going out to look for new things.
I started the card by pulling up a blank Microsoft word document.
First you want to change the paper size to whatever size you want your card to be. (I made mine 5X8") You want to be sure to leave at least a .25 margin on all 4 sides.

Next I inserted 3 text boxes for pictures.

You may choose to add less or more, depending on the style of your card.

Next, Once I had the text boxes arranged the way I wanted them I inserted pictures from my picture files.


Then, I changed the borders of the text boxes by right clicking on the box and selecting "format text box". In doing this, you can change the color and thickness of the outline. You can also change the color of the back round in the text box.


Once I have the pictures that I want and the borders and colors selected around them, I then insert another text box and type in "Happy Mother's Day". I chose to put my box at the top left but, you can be as creative as you want with yours. You can also add word art into the text box instead of using plain text.

At this point, I will inset another text box which will be for the important personal things I want to say in the card. I usually choose a simple font that is easy to read, but still keeping with the theme of the card. You can choose to type in your signature or hand write it for a more personal touch.
When you have your card looking just the way you want it, you are ready to print. Be sure that you change the paper quality to a thicker paper and the paper size is set correctly. You may need to create a custom print size for your project. If you do not change the paper quality and size, your project will not print correctly.
Finally, print your project, sign the card and wait for the OOOh's and AAAh's to come pouring in! This is a fun and creative way to show mom your thinking of her.

And... it didn't really cost a thing!If you have any questions about any of the information I shared with you today, please don't hesitate to contact me. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. Happy Crafting!
See you in the CraftZone.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment