Thursday, July 9, 2009

Crackle Crafts! Refinished wood using crackle paint.






If you thought making chalk boards was easy, then you're going to LOVE this article about creating functional art using crackle paint! Even though this is a 2 to 3 step process, it could NOT be easier. You can create fantastic original original pieces of furniture or home decor. I started off with a few square wood mirrors that I found at a yard sale. I think I paid .50 cents for each. The people who had them before me had actually white washed the mirrors, which I loved but, they didn't exactly go with MY home decor. I painted each of the mirrors with very vibrant colors. I used lime green, blue, red, orange, green and purple. Of course, you can use whatever colors suit you. Once the paint was dry I used "crackle Paint", which I found at home depot for $14.99. That may seem like a lot for your first project but, keep in mind that you will use this paint for several projects and will have it for a long time to come. You want to be sure that you have a nice even coat of crackle paint all over the area you want to have the crackle effect. The paint will look a little milky but, mostly clear. The can of crackle paint will come with user instructions of their own but, I found that letting the crackle paint dry for at least 24 hours gives the best results. After the crackle paint is dry you will apply your top coat. This will be the primary color of your project, as it will be the color you see the most of. I chose to use black. You want to use a flat based paint for the top coat. Satin and latex tend to peel off. If you want your project to have a glossy finish you can always use a clear coat of spray paint or polyurethane; or if it is an outside project you may want to use a water proof polyurethane after your top coat is dry. When you begin to paint on the top coat you will instantly start to see some crackling streaks. The crackle will continue to take effect as the top coat drys. Be sure not to paint over the same area twice. The crackle will have the best effect with just one top coat. So, once your done with the top coat an it is dry you may choose to give your project a shine or leave it as is. And that really is all there is to it! Enjoy your creation and be excited when all of your family and friends ask you where you got such an amazing piece of art! As always, please feel free to contact me with any questions. You can visit my website and check out more great craft ideas or make special Epurchases at www.mycraftzone.com

No comments:

Post a Comment