Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Chalk Boards Made Easy





I LOVE CHALK BOARDS! Chalk boards are so much fun because they are so functional. You can use them as a giant post it to remember events or to go shopping. You can leave messages to members of the family or use them as an ever changing work of art! I have even painted the front of a picture frame to write on with chalk. But, lets face it chalk boards are expensive. They can cost anywhere from $10 for an ity-bity one to $100 for a large wall hanging one. If your like me, you just can't afford something like that. Well, I'm going to let you in on a secret. You can have as many chalk boards, as big as you want, for about $10. The Secret is chalk board paint from Home Depot. It's so easy. Just find a surface that you would like to make into a chalk board and paint it with a paint roller. I find using a roller, as apposed to a brush, is best brushes tend to leave a bumpy surface. I have made chalk boards out of old picture frames, planks of wood, and I have even just painted straight onto the wall. In this case I found some really cheap wood trim and made a frame for the board. Everyone asks me who custom made my chalk board to fit my wall. I laugh and say "Oh, it was imported from Italy and was VERY expensive"! I think the trim cost me $2 and I still had Chalk board paint from the other projects I had done. You really can use chalk board paint just about anywhere. Use it on table tops for the kids. You'll save on paper and markers. Paint it on your wall. You'll be the best parent because you can encourage your kids to write on the walls! Be as creative as you want. This project is SO easy! There are tips and instructions on the can of paint, don't forget to read those. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to share ideas. I would love to hear from you if you create your own board. Happy Crafting!
Visit www.mycraftzone.com for more crafty ideas and purchases

No comments:

Post a Comment